A birthday comes around once a year, usually with great celebration and happiness. This year my wonderful horse--Ozaamann Shilar-- turns 30. Basically meaning that he's super old...say like 85-90 for humans. Yeah, and last year we were galloping. Has your grandpa sprinted in the last few years? My horse is like superman-horse. Just sayin'.. but anyway, this year he hit the big ol' three-zero. Kinda a huge deal.
In the 6 amazing years I've owned him, this past year induced the most changes. It became apparent to me that my horse was suddenly old, he wasn't "the same" anymore like he used to be. Age does that to a body I guess. But it rather hit me in the face. I've been having a bit of a hard time with it but still trying to stay positive and create memories that I can enjoy for the rest of my life but it seems like I keep coming back to "He's old and I probably don't have him for much longer.." and then I feel sorry for myself.
Well today I had Shilar on an enjoyable walk through the field, the sun was shining brightly, birds were singing and grass was starting to show signs of life and growth... as seems usual lately, his age popped into my head as I started to reminisce on how much fun we've had together. But this time, I decided not to dwell on all the negatives of his age and just started listing off all the amazing things we've done together and how much fun we've shared.
Well today I had Shilar on an enjoyable walk through the field, the sun was shining brightly, birds were singing and grass was starting to show signs of life and growth... as seems usual lately, his age popped into my head as I started to reminisce on how much fun we've had together. But this time, I decided not to dwell on all the negatives of his age and just started listing off all the amazing things we've done together and how much fun we've shared.
I try to refrain from thinking of him as a frail, decaying, old man with glasses....as pictured to the right --------->
(Although, I think that may be a woman....and Shilar does need glasses..but that's beside the point)
Kinda like him.
<---------
(He looks nice, right?)
| He definitely won't need one of these.... |
I couldn't help but think about all the things we've done together, in just the 6 short years of life we've experienced.
-we've galloped through fields of tall grass
-went on a "fox hunt"
-jumped through snow banks
-painted hooves
-had water fights
-we've gone swimming together
-competed at county fair
-helped train "the youngsters"
-braided manes
-won blue ribbons
-practiced head sets
-we've had picnics together
-pushed ourselves
-took pictures
-we've drilled ground work
-learned how to love
-collected and extended gaits
-we've flown recklessly through the field without a care in the world
-counter cantered
-worked the extra mile
-gave each other our whole heart
-given everything
-we've tried out new tack
-we've galloped through puddles
-ridden bareback
-laid out in the grass and sun
-competed at state
-bonded for hours
-tried new things
-we've cried together
-shown up the $10k horses at shows
-learned patience
-we haven't cared what we look like
-gone to McDonald's
-healed each other's wounds
-trusted each other
-shared carrots
-we've relaxed
-played tricks
-we've goofed off
-we've had a blast
But best of all....we've been best friends and we always will be.
Not only have we done all these things together, but alone, Shilar has taught me everything and given me the world! He is the best horse I could ever want, need or even hand-pick, he picked me. I knew there was a special bond from the very first time I rode him. Shilar has taught me to have patience, work hard, trust, endure and especially to love. Love without holding back. Anything.
I love you, Shilar!! Thanks for being such an amazing horse and best friend!!




Awww... brought tears to my eyes and lump to my throat. He is a wonderful horse. We love him dearly in this house. He has given memories to Mia and Molly that will last a life time. You are in those wonderful memories as well and we thank you for that! I agree, don't be sad about his age but be thankful you got to enjoy him and love him.
ReplyDeleteGod has great plans for you and you need to trust Him. Shilar is a chapter in life. God has many more for you to write. :)
I can't believe the new things you taught him AFTER he had already retired. Amazing. Amazing horse and amazing girl.
ReplyDeleteDo they have a special "horse beach" for riding horses like they do for dogs? If not, don't you think that's racist and that they should get one?
ReplyDelete